Aarav Saki (Week 10): A Misplaced Memory


As eleventh grade students, we are no strangers to the power of remembering. Whether it be studying for a difficult test, remembering a complex equation, or memorizing a speech, we exercise such a power on a daily basis. 

But a power that is not so commonly discussed is the power of forgetting. Brushing past a hurtful comment, burying old grudges to create bonds anew—forgetting is just as powerful in its own right, so why is it not valued like any other mental faculty of ours?

Perhaps it is because the power of forgetting can be easily abused. Forgetting our past mistakes, our errors, and our transgressions as a society could have grave consequences. It is far too often that willful ignorance to events of the past has led to the repetition of mistakes in the present. There is a reason history is taught in schools, and the wisdom we learn from our past is indispensable.

But what power hasn't been abused? In my opinion, this dark connotation surrounding the act of forgetting is no different from any other power. Humans have both used and abused some of the most valued forms of power in the world, so the power of forgetting is no outlier in this regard.

So then, maybe it is because the power of forgetting is not something that is entirely in our control all of the time. After all, we can accidentally forget events, meetings, obligations, and other important things we certainly do not want to forget. There are myriad conditions and mental illnesses that make people forget their loved ones. 

But even this is no barrier to the power's legitimacy. Countless other powers can exist outside of our control (the power of emotion, as an example), so why should the power of forgetting be an exception?

Forgetting is just as important as the power of remembering, or even any other power we may possess. Yes, it has the ability to be abused. And yes, it is something that is not always voluntary, and something we even fight against on occasion. But I think that it is important to acknowledge that we can often choose what we forget, a choice that is ultimately impactful.

Comments

  1. Hi Aarav, I read your blog, and I found your topic to be very interesting. As I myself have a lacking memory, I can relate to the points you have made. Although good memory can serve as an advantage to remembering math equations, memorizing a speech, or retaining information, it can also bring the burdens of holding grudges. The power of forgetting is very powerful as it helps the individual grow and learn from their past mistakes. By learning to forgive, relationships can flourish, and misunderstandings can be cleared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aarav, I found the topic of the power of forgetting very interesting and a new way of looking at things. Memories can be both an advantage, when trying to remember information from a textbook, or a disadvantage such as trying to forget a certain remark or event. The power of forgetting is very impactful as it can help people learn from past mistakes. I also found the idea that we can choose what we forget to be very interesting and should be used in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your post very well-timed as we just finished a unit on memory in my psychology class. We learned what your post emphasizes: the ability to forget is often a blessing more than a curse and can indeed be powerful. Imagine being able to remember literally everything! Tests would certainly become easier, but without the balm of forgetfulness painful memories would never fade. I like that you emphasize the importance of remembering on a larger scale, especially in terms of historical events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aarav, I found your blog incredibly interesting. I had never thought to consider forgetting as a power, or even as an asset for that matter. Your blog has let me see this function of our minds in a new way. Maybe forgetting isn't all bad, still I would rather I had control over the ability. Forgetting trauma is undoubtably useful, but when coupled with the too often forgetting of math equations, I am not exactly sure if I am a fan of the concept. Still, your blog has allowed me to entertain this debate, and see both sides. While I still am unsure if forgetting is a power, I now am invested in finding out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aarav, your blog makes me think of how I'd love to forget some things, yet I'd hate to forget some other things as well. Trust me, if I could just wipe away an embarrassing, awkward moment, I would; unfortunately, it's pretty hard to do so. That being said, forcing myself to remember something I'll need to know for a next day's test is so difficult, but it does make me think of how much power our minds hold. Forgetting or remembering something could have a huge impact, in different kinds of situations as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aarav,
    We actually just finished learning about memory in psychology class. We touched base on the fact that forgetting is one of the brain's most crucial processes. Forgetting is the loss of information in ones long or short-term memory. People who are able to prune memories are also able to remember more pertinent information. Their ideas are focused, and they can discard irrelevant things. Forgetting also helps us think, prioritize, make good decisions, and sparks creativity. All of these things are important to everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Aarav, This is a really interesting topic. The power of forgetting is indeed a great power often seen as negative. However I agree with you in the fact that forgetting is never really negative humans forget things because memories are an excess of knowledge and when that storage is full kind of like a computer files are lost to make room for new ones and think of those files as memories sure you are losing precious moments but you are losing them for the promise of even better moments as you continue on with life so forgetting isn't bad it is just a power that life gave us to continue moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aarav,
    I think the power of remembering is critical as students forgetting is the worst thing that can happen. Especially during a test, that is the worst time a student can forget something, whether a topic or a formula. When students forget something, they are penalized for it. Some might think of this as a bad thing, but I see it as a good thing because, in the future, we will be forced to remember things whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ananya Kulkarni (Week 13) - The Misinformation Effect

Siya Patil (Week 15) - Elephant vs. Human

Angie Week 11 Formal Power