Avinash Patel Week 16: Different Types of Memories

   When I think about memory, I think of one universal way of storing information in a human brain. But recently, I discovered that there are many types of memory. This blew my mind because memory was such a binary concept in my head. Either you remember something, or you do not. Reflecting on my past knowledge, I could say that there are also solid memories and weak ones. For example, a strong memory could be a significant moment in your life, and a weak one is something you have trouble remembering. After learning that there are many types of memory, I would like to learn more about each one. 

   The one I want to focus on today is Procedural memory. In an article written by Psychology Today, they explain Procedural memory as "The term describes long-term memory for how to do things, both physical and mental, and is involved in the process of learning skills—from the basic ones people take for granted to those that require considerable practice". Some examples of Procedural memory are how to open a door, wash dishes, and dribble a basketball. One thing that I noticed personally is that I do not remember learning how to do something that requires Procedural memory. For example, I do not recall learning how to dribble a basketball. Procedural memory is used for things that need repetition to learn. Procedural memory is also used for items people say they know how to do instead of learning about it, like walking, which you do not remember learning but know how to do.     What You Need to Remember About Your Memory | Psychology Today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jerome Arbee Week #10: Powering Power

Aarav Saki (Week 12): Dream

The Power of Fear