Avinash Patel Week 12: The Power of Choice

  I think that many of us take the power of choice for granted. Unfortunately, many people have barely any choices in their lives. They have no choice but to work long shifts, they have no choice but to feed others before themselves, and they have no choice in picking what food to eat for their meals. However, we are blessed to have many choices, sometimes it even feels hard to pick one thing out of all the good choices. In an article by Dayana Mason, she says, "Making decisions causes mental fatigue. The more choices we make throughout the day, the more our brain struggles to make them and eventually begins to look for shortcuts. Without a mental break, this can cause us to choose impulsively or to do nothing due to exhaustion. This is why we make better decisions in the morning and are more susceptible to bad decisions (eating ice cream for dinner) later in the day". The way Mason talks about decisions or choices intrigued me. I never thought about how the quality of my choices diminished over my day.  

  Even though we have all these choices, many have little to no choice in living their life. For example, Shervin Assari explains how "about 13.5 percent of Americans are living in poverty. Many of these people do not have insurance, and efforts to help them gain insurance, be it through Medicaid or private insurance . . ." these people living in poverty have little choice. Unlike someone living a financially stable life who can call sick from work, the people in poverty can not afford the day off. That one workday that was missed could be why they could not eat that night. Many in poverty also have to work to support their families. In the future, when you make a choice, make sure you realize the privilege you have.  

Comments

  1. Hi Avinash, I found your blog on the power of choice to be very interesting and informative. Being able to choose how we live our lives is a privilege that unfortunately not everyone has. Although hard work does factor into success, a lot of times, there are also many unprecedented factors that may limit a person. Therefore, we should choose our actions accordingly, and make good decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason’s statement makes so much sense it almost seems obvious in retrospect. I have also personally found a positive correlation between a decline in decision making and energy levels--for instance, I have noticed that I am a better driver at the beginning of the day, before the “decision fatigue” sets in, and because I am a newer driver I become mentally drained much faster than those more experienced. You are also right that gratitude in decision making is important. I am lucky to even have access to a car. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Avi,
    I think your blog makes a strong statement about making life decisions. None of us know what others are going through, everyone has their own problems. I, myself, feel extremely privileged to live everyday knowing that I have my parents taking care of me, I am able to have three full meals and snacks every day, and I do not have any stress that almost every teen does not have on my hands. I have the choice of doing a job in junior year or not, some kids have to work to sustain a living for their family. I think it is really important to express gratitude towards everything that you have in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Avinash, although I have not dealt with poverty, I always remain humble and grateful for what I have. I think there is a lot of power in choosing to be thankful for all that we have, as it makes us better people for recognizing how privileged we are. My parents have always taught me to remain humble, and I am glad that I know I will carry this mindset into the future and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Avinash, I found your blog on the power of choice and the different takes on a choice very interesting. Being able to make a variety of choices in our life is a privilege that many people do not get to enjoy. One thing that I found interesting is that we make better decisions in the morning and are more susceptible to bad decisions. I can see this happening in my day-to-day life, especially with my time management.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Avinash, the power of choice is often overlooked but incredibly common in our daily lives—whether it be economic choice, social choice, or some other form of choice enabled by our circumstances. I'd like to think that we are working towards giving the power of choice to more and more people, but I don't think that is a universal truth yet. As you have stated in your post, it is important to recognize that many of the powers we have are also privileges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Avinash, the power of choice is an incredibly important one. One that we often take for granted. Choices or lack thereof, shape our lives and how we live them. Like you said, not everyone has choices, and that too affects what they do. Choice is a power that shapes not only our lives but the lives of those around us. We don't live in a vacuum, people are affected by the actions we take. That makes choice incredibly powerful. It reminds us that we need to think about how our choices will affect others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Avi, So I believe that your topic is entirely correct the power of a choice given to u is a very important power that I feel most people really appreciate and love to have. I feel like this relates to knowledge as well because the knowledge on the choices also gives the choices themselves power over your opinion otherwise the choice wouldn't matter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aarav Saki (Week 12): Dream

Jerome Arbee Week #10: Powering Power

Daniel Alvizo 4/27 Wait... What Was I Doing Again?