Aarav Saki (Week 12): Dream





Getting eight hours of sleep is a recommendation often urged by many, and for good reason. Sleep can provide a number of crucial health benefits, such as strengthening the immune system, contributing to a healthier state of mind, and reducing the risk of common health issues such as diabetes.

The power of sleep is clear, but an article by the CDC shows that students our age severely lack it. According to the article, a startling 72% of a national sample of high school students received less than the eight recommended hours of sleep. If the power of sleeping is so apparent, this begs the simple question: why?

Since we are all high school students ourselves (who have no doubt experienced some form of sleep deprivation), the conclusion to such a question may seem obvious. It is the combination of what often seems like mountains of homework, a rigid school schedule, and early school start times that eat away at our periods of rest.

But for experts and school officials, the answer to such an "epidemic" is not so simple. While an article published by Stanford Medicine News Center largely concurs with the idea that early school start times and an “intense” pressure to succeed are part of rising teenage sleep deprivation, it also cites a number of external influencing factors, such as the advent of consumer technology and social pressures. 

Ultimately, there is little debate that a good night’s sleep is a power to be reckoned with. The problem for students our age only lies in harnessing it.

Photo Source: https://creazilla.com/nodes/34698-man-is-sleeping-clipart

 

Comments

  1. Hi Aarav, I found your blog very interesting, and to be honest, I think I really needed to hear this for myself. Having gotten less than 7 hours of sleep daily, I can feel the effects lack of sleep has on my body. I go to class feeling only 70% awake, and by the time I get home, I’m really tired. Although getting all your work done on time is important, it is also crucial to get enough rest to function properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems ironic that the same adults telling us to sleep early are the ones assigning ungodly amounts of homework and setting early start times. According to my psychology textbook, adults actually need closer to nine hours of uninterrupted sleep to feel and perform at their best. If that is true, then most high school students are horribly sleep deprived. I am not even sure how to begin solving this multifaceted problem, but I hope a solution is found soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aarav, it's now pretty clear that there's not really a way to dodge the sleep deprivation we have all experienced numerous times in our 16-17 years of living so far. There's so much power in sleeping, but it's so hard to achieve the benefits which come with sleep. I'm hoping that as we get older, we'll manage our time better and hopefully catch up on some much-needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aarav,
    People underestimate the power of sleep. People who are able to get to sleep by 9PM and wake up around 5AM, use their time valuably and can progress greatly in life. They are willingly productive people and feel better about themselves as well. Mentally, it is easier to make decisions and go about your day if you have had enough sleep. You can focus, have better memory, and many other things that will help you in day-to-day life. Teens especially, need more sleep because they are already dealing with so much stress. Sleep deprivation will just add on to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aarav, it has always seemed ironic that many adults stress the importance of sleep and getting at least eight hours of sleep each night when we are assigned mountains of homework each week. Sleep deprivation is very common for students these past few years as course work is getting harder and there are a lot more distractions such as social media. Personally, one of my goals is to manage my time better and be more efficient so I can get more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aarav, I only have one question... what is sleep? I haven't heard that word in so long I have forgotten what it means. Endless homework and essays keep me awake forever, so... thats a problem. I like your blog, it really impresses the importance of this thing you call 'sleep'. I just don't know if that is an option that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aarav, sleep is essential. I know from experience. When I sleep more, I have a better day, but I have worse days when I sleep less. However, I think some teachers disagree with this statement. It feels like we are given as much work as possible, so we have no sleep. I also think that teachers forget we are at school for 7 out of our 14 hour days, so their work messes up our sleep schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Aarav, As an APENG student i do not know sleep and i am currently in the process of moving right now as well so to me sleep holds no power currently and personally serves as a foreign topic to me because of this simple fact. However i cannot deny the fact that sleep is a very important thing and without it life as we know it would be a true hell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aarav Saki (Week 15): A Two Way Street

Siya Patil (Week 14): Memories and Myths