Natasha Anguelouch Week #9: The Power of Puns

 

People typically discuss words’ persuasive impact when writing about language and power. They mention moving speeches and violence-inducing declarations, but often do not think about one far more light-hearted power language possesses that is just as significant: making people smile.

Likewise, I truly love puns because they serve no purpose other than being irresistibly hilarious and, if used in advertising, excellent ways to charm people into buying mundane products (a standard razor company is boring, but a razor company that promises to help you “shave time” and “shave money” is genius and probably sells wonderful razors).

My family members (claim to) disagree with my pun infatuation. They sigh whenever I exclaim that I have made an “egg-cellent” omelet or say that our matryoshka doll is “full of herself.”

What they seem not to realize is the way my puns immediately distract them from their present anxieties and make them involuntarily crack a smile that is quickly hidden, lest I discover that they enjoy clever wordplay as much as I do. Puns can calm the most agitated people down when administered in proper doses, and this is just as powerful as an eloquent speech.

Plus, such speeches can frankly be hard for less-educated listeners to understand—puns are simple to grasp given that the recipient is fluent in the particular language and have a quick punch-line unobstructed by complicated words.

If you still find yourself standing in an ankle-high pool of doubt at my assertions, what are you “wading” for? Tell a friend your favorite pun today!

Comments

  1. Hi Natasha, I love the use of puns throughout your blog! It definitely did a great job making me smile. Our words can have a massive impact on someone, without us realizing; for example, dropping a simple pun can brighten someone's day more than you expected it to. In addition, a sad song can bring comfort to a person, as the lyrics directly correlate with how the person is feeling, therefore appealing to them. I completely agree with what you said, as simple words themselves can evoke feelings of happiness when a person is not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natasha,
    I totally agree with your stance, puns are definitely underappreciated. They are lighthearted and quick to make people smile. Your blog surely did! Honestly, I do not know if more people hold a similar opinion, however, I feel that the pandemic has deprived people of the nourishment that they need. They are desensitized to the little things, and it takes more to make them happy. People have to learn to appreciate everything that life contains. For example, I am very fond of pinky promises. It might seem small, but they do mean a lot to me. If someone breaks a promise, I take it to heart, but if someone makes a promise it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natasha, I read your blog, and I found your topic on the power of puns very interesting. Puns have the ability to lighten the mood and make the speech more memorable to the audience. In a way, having a speech that can leave an impact on the audience is much more powerful than a speech that simply demonstrates high level language and sophistication. A speech that can move people’s hearts has the capability to influence them to take part in the cause, which is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natasha, I really liked the topic of your blog as it was very interesting to think of the power of puns. Your blog lightened the mood and showed power in a different light. Puns also show how the power of language can be used to make people feel a variety of motions, from being frustrated after hearing a pun to laughing until you cannot breathe. I absolutely loved your matryoshka pun and it really made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Natasha, I think that the use of puns is necessary. I think saying a pun is like telling a bad joke that is funny. While your parents may not like puns because of the distraction they create, I think breaks like that are necessary to give people a slight mental break every day. Also, they require you to use your brain a little bit to understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Natasha, I enjoyed the joyful nature of your post—you proved that a discussion of power doesn't have to be so serious. And yet, despite their cheerfulness, puns are a seriously powerful thing. There are few other powers that can so easily bring people to smile or to become more interested in something. Puns may be lighthearted, but the power they wield is certainly heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Natasha, reading your blog I was really happy to hear your take on the topic given to us because puns are a really good use of language. I also agree that puns are good for being funny and only being funny and I believe that puns are the ideal use of language and words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ananya Kulkarni (Week 13) - The Misinformation Effect

Siya Patil (Week 15) - Elephant vs. Human

Angie Week 11 Formal Power